- use Books
- "The Folly of Abolishing the N.E.A."
- "The Vital Importance of the Arts in Personal Development"
- The Muses Go to School, Ch. 1-6:
- Ch. 1, "Tears in the Dark: The Arts as a Vehicle for the Discovery of the Self"
- Ch. 2, "Communication from One's Heart: The Arts and the Development of Self-Discipline"
- Ch. 3, "An Affair With One's Soul: The Arts and the Development of Cultural Identity"
- Ch. 4, "Good, Hard Work: The Arts, Lifelong Commitments, Pleasures, and Pains"
- Ch. 5, "Teaching on the Bandstand: The Intergenerational Legacy of the Arts"
- Ch. 6, "Walking Into the Fire: The Arts as an Integrative Force in Learning"
How have you interacted with the arts in your life? Were you a participant, or were you a part of the audience? Describe how you have participated in the arts in a 525- to 700-word personal essay. This is an essay describing your personal experiences, but you must adhere to APA formatting in regards to general formatting and title page.
Describe the following in your personal essay:
- A description of the art you experienced and why you chose this form of art over the other art forms covered in this class
- How the experience personally affected you
- How you plan to continue your participation in the arts as either an audience member or creator of the visual or performing arts
- Your own definition of what the arts are and the purpose they serve